Saturday, November 17, 2018

Kicking out crutches


Randy and Danny have been my Muse as of late.  Danny's blog is Intrepid Definitions is fantastic, and TIMELY.  She keeps knocking them out.  She doesn't take a month or two to get to it, she gets the work done, and does it well.

It is endearing that she doesn't know how good she is...yet.  I love how brave she is exposing her thoughts to the Internet.  I discussed this with my oldest daughter and she offered up this advice (to the both of us).

(Dad 'em right in the face)

Randy asks me questions, then my brain can't shut up.  So, many times processing out my thoughts to answer his question becomes a blog.  Such is the case with the blog you are currently reading.

It started simple enough...






This job is harder than I thought, but I still love it.











         How so?









It is hard to put in words exactly.  If I can't put it into words how can I process why I am feeling this way?

(and here we go)

But, before I start tumbling down this rabbit hole, a disclaimer.  This is just me (Kasey Keckeisen) the individual person thinking out loud.  Theses thoughts in no way represent the Police Department nor the School District I work for.

I hate the soft discrimination of lowered standards / expectations and, it seems that modern society has fallen in love lowering expectations.

I understand many of these kids have suffered some form of trauma, and that truly is heartbreaking.  Especially considering their tender age.

You don't make fun of a kid with a broken leg for not performing well in a foot race.
Trust me there are things in these children that are broken.



You don't make fun of a kid with a broken leg for not performing well in a foot race, but eventually that cast has to come off if, the leg is ever going to be strong again.

Eventually you have to get off the crutch, even though it may hurt.

The job is tougher than I expected because nearly every day I see the discrimination of lowered standards.  To use the analogy of the broken leg, I see authority figures give smiley face stickers to kids for using crutches 3 years after the leg break giving them the false impression that they will never be strong enough on to walk their own.  Forget about running.

The saddest part is that when these children leave the safety of school the world will kick out that crutch out from underneath them the first chance it gets, and those legs have atrophied to the point of amputation.



I have come to realize that this is so ingrained in the system that it is going to take major disruptive changes to society to alter it.



I can not change it.  That literally (and I never misuse that term) hurts me to type.
Kasey Fucking Keckeisen does not lose!  However, I can not change it.  Not from the inside.

From the inside, I can only lead by example.  Which I will continue to do

(You can be tough and also enjoy PJ day at school)

I can however, offer alternate education.  Maybe strengthen those legs a little bit.

Recently the following story popped up in my Facebook timeline.  It resonated with me and many of the people on the Odin / Alvitr team.


It gets dusty every god damned time I read that.

Odin sees the flinch when he slams his cup and refrains from doing so again.
O.D.I.N. has made people flinch on purpose as a learning tool, but we have also made people flinch on accident.

Odin doesn't slam his cup he just beams with pride... 
"Do you mind if I tell an off color joke?"
We continue to learn and grow to push each other to be better.

What really stood out for me was this line - So you will know your own strength and be happy all your days I will teach you to use these weapons.

Can one every truly be happy if they never find their own strength? 
(Get off those god damned crutches?)

This job is harder than I thought, but I still love it.

I can't change a flawed system but I can help people discover their own strength, and be happy.

On top of being an excellent writer, Danny is also a gifted artist.
She drew this




So you will know your own strength and be happy all your days I will teach you to use these weapons.

Train hard, Train smart - discover your strength - be happy - Be Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment