Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The A.M. experiment.


A couple times recently my workouts have been rescheduled or had to be missed because of life stuff (family things, SWAT call outs, etc…).

Life happens, I figured that maybe if I did my workouts first thing in the morning before life starts happening I could get them done and out of the way.  That way no matter what happens after that I won’t miss my training.  No excuses bitches. 

I am very fortunate that I am allowed / encouraged to work out at work (over my lunch break).  I am also very fortunate that my Dojo is close to work.

So moving all my training to before work frees up time for extra credit training for lack of a better term.  If time allows I can go hit the heavy bag or swing some swords around.  If time is too tight, it’s no big deal because I already got my primary training in for the day

On the days I don’t work I don’t have to wake up early.  I do however, have to work out first thing in the morning.  Like the old military cadence song
 - Up in the morning I’m out if the sack, God only knows when I’ll be back. –


So, what have I learned from the experiment?


I have been running and core training in the mornings for awhile now, but I haven't done strength training first thing in the morning since high school.  I was afraid I would be way weaker training that early, but no real diminishment in reps.
I also get some stress inoculation and cardio benefit because I play “beat the clock”
- I have to get the entire whole body work out in 30 min or less - so I’m not late for work

I have been loving it, great way to start a day.  All of my training is specifically geared to make me a better Operator.  Looking this sexy is just a side effect.  I get excited about it and look foreword to the training.  Some days are harder to crawl out of bed than others but either way I have a sense of pride and accomplishment for having achieved difficult training while most mere mortals are still comfortably asleep in their bed.  Then I’m free the rest of the day to spend more time as a father, fight crime or just veg out guilt free and watch sci fi movie marathons.

Is this whole blog Kasey bragging about how awesome he is again? What is the moral of the story?    

Ok, a couple of things:
Time management. 
Body Weight calisthenics can be done anywhere, are free, and you can get a killer work out in a short amount of time

This is the schedule that works for me.  My suggestion is to find physical activity that you can be excited / passionate about and find a way to work it into your schedule every day (note appropriate rest is part of smart training) as if your life depended on it.  Because it just might

No excuses bitches

4 comments:

  1. I have a good friend and training partner that owns a school here, and ironically is part of the local SWAT team as well -Because of our busy schedules it's hard to get together to train...but out of sheer will and desire to keep our own training up, we get together at least once a week around 5:30 to beat each other up. If somethings important to you -no excuses (bitches!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!!!
    If you fellas ever find yourselves in Minnesota, stop by the Dojo. You guys are the type I love to train with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely!
    Are you or your school on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1455564995

    http://www.aikidominnesota.com/

    ReplyDelete