Wednesday, November 10, 2010

History lesson I should have known.


What is practical Budo?  Why do I do put all the effort into writing the practical Budo blog?  I define practical Budo as the adaptation of Japanese martial arts (Budo) for use by professionals (military / law enforcement) who’s life and the lives of others depends on the quality of their training.  The integration of firearms, edged weapons, and empty hand skills into a cohesive principal based method.  I write the blog because I feel this area of study is fairly cutting edge and needs to be shared with more people.  Other professionals, Trainers, and people who want to learn methods proven in the field to protect themselves. 

So what should I have known?

Apparently there was a British fellow by the name of W.E. Fairbrain.  Fairbrain was a police officer who practiced Jujutsu and other martial arts.  Fairbrain combined that knowledge with what he learned actually worked on the streets (he worked a major metropolitan seaport with high crime) into his own unique fighting system.  Sounds familiar right?  He described this system as primarily based on his personal experience, which according to police records included some 600 use of force incidents (fights), by his retirement at age 55 from the position of Assistant Commissioner.  This system and Fairbairn’s training methods were so successful he was recruited by the British Secret Service as an Army officer to train UK, US and Canadian Commando forces, along with Ranger candidates in close-combat, pistol-shooting, and knife-fighting techniques.  In that capacity he trained Rex Applegate.  Together these gentlemen devised training and tactics for military and law enforcement special operations teams. 

Very cutting edge right?  Exactly what I am striving for with practical Budo.  Oh, did I mention that Fairbairn and Applegate were doing this in……1943!!!

I’m so ahead of my time almost 70 years later.

I just started reading some of their books

Must reads for anyone who enjoys reading my blog.  The section on room warfare and raids was written 20 years before SWAT existed but reads like a text book for police special operations.

Here is some video of their training


Funny side story.  This is what I have always been looking for in martial arts.  In 1984 when I was a young lad of 10 on Sunday mornings after church USA network had Kung Fu Theater which I watched every week.  And after school everyday I got to watch the adventures of America’s highly trained special mission force code name – GI JOE.  All of the Joes were martial arts experts and one of the commandos (Snake Eyes of course) was even a ninja just like on Kung Fu theater. 


I was under the impression that all military people were trained this way and I wanted to learn.  I talked to kids I knew on the civil air patrol and they sent me to a guy in the Marine Corp youth auxiliary.  I asked him; if I joined would I be trained in hand to hand combat?  He looked at me like I had “special needs”.  I guess teaching kids how to maim and or kill with their bare hands was frowned upon.  So moral of the story: interest in Commando style hand to hand combat got me started in martial arts.  A life long journey in martial arts has lead to the development Keishoukan Budo (see also practical Budo).  Which I find out is really just a different name for Commando style hand to hand combat that has been around for over 70 years.  At least I know I can provide my students with the training I was always looking for….and knowing is half the battle  - Yo JOE!!!

1 comment:

  1. lol -Everything about this blog post was just nostalgic and awesome all at the same time!
    -A lot of the that Fairbairn and Applegate history is pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete